My diverted focus is running full throttle today. I’m almost impressed.
I was updating something on this site and my plan vs actual workflow progressed thus:
Aim for the morning: Make short excerpt of posts show on front page of new theme instead of full text.
Time estimated: 30 minutes
Time taken: 3 hours
Objective acheived? No
- Look for content options
- Can’t find them. Google. Read several forum threads and realise it’s not possible with new theme
- Add ‘read more’ tag to posts instead of excerpt
- This means TL;DR box no longer works in current place
- Relocate box
- While I’m at it, may as well make the div prettier
- Learn a bit of .class CSS so that I can have a blue box with good padding
- That looks nice. Let’s add some pull quotes to the post
- Now I know some more CSS I wonder if I can edit these too
- Google and learn about pull quote style in print and online
- Decide I want ‘x’ Google font in a fancy pull quote
- Can’t make font work
- “How do I upload fonts to WordPress”?
- Edit header.php file, apparently
- Can’t find it. Maybe it’s because I’m mapping my domain instead of hosting it with WordPress. Transfer domain to WordPress.
- Still not there. More Google. Ah. Without a business subscription I can’t get into the theme files
- OK, so I have to add fonts via FTP
- “Connect WordPress to FTP”
- “Which FTP is best”
- “Connect WordPress to Cyberduck”
- Install Cyberduck
- Oh FFS, WordPress won’t allow .com sites to connect to FTP
- Is it worth looking into self-hosting so I can… wait, what was I doing?
Hold up. How much money, time and effort am I about to spend in an attempt to modify… pull quotes? Good grief.
Caught myself this time but I’ve made some stupid decisions in the past by continuing down these blinkered paths.